Perusing antique stores can be a really fun past time! You never know what treasures you might come across. But if you plan on buying antiques, it is very important to know these 5 important tips to antique the right way!
1. If it seems too good to be true – there is a strong possibility it is! Some antique stores like antique malls have individual sellers that rent spaces within it to sell their stuff. If this is the case, it might be real – but many antique dealers know their product before they sell it. They aren’t going to sell you a mirror that belonged to the King of France, Louie XVIII from the year 1814 for $20 bucks.
2. Keep your eyes peeled for stamps, authenticity certificates and other factors proving the antique you are getting is actually from the time period advertised or made from the manufacturer / designer / artist advertised. There are a lot of clueless people and even scammers. Although not every antique dealer has done their homework either. They might have been duped themselves before they put it out on their display shelves to sell.
3. Visit the same antique stores every couple of months. You will be able to see what has sold, what hasn’t and even if something you purchased has many duplicates that they keep regurgitating on to the sales floor. It helps you get a scope of what you really, really want vs. impulse buying.
4. Ask questions and be specific. Then research the information for yourself. Again, this isn’t too say antique dealers are scammers, but sometimes it is a lot of knowledge for one or two people to know. Sometimes people are simply clerks working for a dealer, and they don’t have the information you are looking for. Most of us have cell phones! So use them.
5. Last but not least, find an expert or an appraiser. Have you ever watched antique roadshow? It is worth it to watch these shows to help you learn more about antiques. It is also worth it to talk to an expert, because it never hurts to find out more about the antiques you love!